Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Horror Movies That Scared The Hell Outta Me When I was Young

HorrorBlips: vote it up!

In the process of having a nightmare last night, I woke up and for some reason started thinking about horror movies that actually scared me. So I decided to let you all in on the movies that impacted my childhood and invaded my REM(Rapid Eye Movement, the stage of sleep where you have vivid dreams for the uneducated lol).
Anyway, for some reason way back in 1986 when I was 6 years old, my parents thought it would be a good idea to take me to the drive-in to watch a double feature of Aliens and The Fly. Aliens was awesome, it didn't bother me at all and I loved it, The Fly on the other hand kept me awake all night. I am not talking about The Fly from the 50's, The Fly I saw was Cronenbergs version. A six year olds fragile little mind should not see Geena Davis give birth to a giant maggot.

Eventually that image left my mind and one night they rented the movie Dolls. Great, now my He-Man and Thundercats figures were going to come alive and try to shank me in my sleep. Don't even get me started on Childs Play and My Buddy.


Those were the movies that kept me up at night when I was little, movies stopped affecting me like that many years ago and I think I can thank my parents for desensitizing me. The only film lately that has burrowed under my skin was Twilight. I watched part of the first one and will NEVER watch another and now vampires feel dirty and wrong. Twilight wasn't a very original idea though, I have been seeing sparkly vampires at the corner of Hollywood and Vine for years. Now it's your turn to tell everyone what movies messed you up. Until tomorrow, my name is Rick, keep your ax sharp and check under the bed at night cause you never know when I will pop up.

6 comments:

  1. When I was a kid the horror movies were replayed on TV over and over again and I snuck and saw "The Haunting" and it freaked me out, even though it was an old black and white movie, probably because I lived in a very active haunted house and it seemed very much similar to our haunting issues. The one I remember taking me over the edge was "The Exorcist" and "The Omen." That was terror on a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it was very interesting to live in a haunted house, I have been in haunted places before and always get very eerie feelings. The Exorcist was a jacked up movie as was The Haunting. Along the lines of supernatural films, I would say that The Entity was one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back around '84 or '85 my family used to go camping at a campground for week-end getaways. So me and my older brother (i was 6 and he was 9)would usually go to our neighboring friends on some nights and watch a marathon of horror movies. But 2 movies that stayed in my head for a while that one night was "Evil Dead" and "Children of the Corn". Funny thing was it affected my brother more than it did me cos he was too afraid to go back to our trailer in the middle of the night, even if it only took a skip and a hop to walk back, what a pussy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I think "The Entity" wasn't really supernatural, but I never believed the case, so I think it was more a psychological thriller. For paranormal, I think probably the one that kind unsettled me the most was "Poltergeist" just because of the aspect of the ghost hunting team and the findings. Shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little older but seeing THE FLY in the theater was the first time I wished I hadn't bought my usual Twizzlers, I was that nauseated! But for me, JAWS was the worst; long before I'd seen the movie the poster was enough to get me freaked out. Plus I grew up near the Jersey Shore so a trip to the boardwalk with JAWS paraphernalia everywhere in the '70s was quite unpleasant indeed. But I recall those days fondly now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boiler room scenes from the first Nightmare on Elm Street scared the hell out of me. I was afraid to go in our basement alone for a couple of years because of that movie.

    ReplyDelete