Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Interview With Chuck Lamb- The Dead Body Guy And Thankskilling

HorrorBlips: vote it up!


1.      How did you get into acting?

This is a story I have told on many TV shows and interviews. My wife and I are big Law & Order fans. I think we have watched them all. Well, I have always been the kind of guy that never lets something stop me if I want to do it. I have always wanted to scuba dive, but I can’t swim. So I realized that as long as I have the air piece in my mouth that I won’t drown. I have sky dove but have a fear of heights. You get the idea. Well, I told Tonya I wanted to be on a TV show or in a movie just one time. She asked me “How do you plan on doing it”. I told her I didn’t know, but I’ll figure it out.  That night I dreamt I was Homer Simpson lying dead and the character Lenny on Law & Order was saying some wisecrack over me. I told my wife that morning with my fist on my chest like a superhero that I could be “Dead Body Guy”. So, after she stopped laughing we made a plan of building the website http://www.deadbodyguy.com/ and she started thinking of ways to kill me around the house and how to make fake blood. Within 6 weeks from that day we were on the TODAY Show and on the front page of the New York Times.

2.      Is horror the genre you enjoy most?

Yes, easily it’s the most fun one to do. I also love comedy, but you meet so many different sorts of people with horror that it’s my favorite. I was honored to be a guest star at a Fangoria convention in Burbank and it was 2 of the best days I have ever had. The fans were too much fun and just about everyone in the industry are great people.

3.      What is your favorite movie that you have been in and why?

So far it has to be ThanksKilling. Imagine 2 guys less than 23 years old each, a handful of volunteers, a couple of cameras, a passion to do something special like I had and $3500. That’s what ThanksKilling was. Total chaos, but in a good way. The movie Stiffs was also a very good time because they treated me with total first class. I mean my own trailer, limo, the works just to have me do 8 seconds of being a dead body. They were great to be around.

4.      What is your favorite movie of all time and why?

Wow! Tuffy. I watch a ton of movies. When I read this question the first two movies that came to mind were “Seven” and “Silence of the Lambs”. Both would have to be right up there on my list because of the same reasons. Neither one of them let you in on the ending too soon. I love suspense and a good twist as long as it’s not overdone and overtwisted.

5.      Do you think independent or major Hollywood movies are better and why?

Independent without question. There’s a passion with indies that are lacking in Hollywood now a days. When you think about, anything exciting and new starts on the indies films and then passed on and enhanced at the bigger studios later. 

6.      What do you think of the horror movies coming out of Hollywood right now?

Not many true “horror” movies coming out of Hollywood in my opinion. I mean there’s a bunch or remakes and some post apocalyptic films, but not a whole lot of “thinking outside of the box”. I’m not a big fan of futuristic or fantasy movies. I like a good suspense thriller that keeps me on the edge of my seat and makes me jump out of that seat 3 or 4 times during it.

7.      Who has been the best director to work for?

Joe Estevez, Charlie Sheen’s uncle and Martin Sheen’s brother has been a joy to work with. I have actually done 2 projects with him. A comedy sit-com pilot and ”Horrorween”, a big budget movie that’s a horror/comedy.

8.      What was it like filming Thankskilling? Did you enjoy it?

I still laugh when I think of filming that scene with me and the turkey at the table having a casual cup of coffee. We did that scene about 4 times. The first two times we went straight by the script and tried to do it “movie” style. The last two times we did it totally improv and the entire house where we were filming could not stop laughing.

9.      Do you have any upcoming projects?

Yes, thanks for asking. I have 2 maybe 3 movies coming out this year. “Stiffs” a dark comedy starring Danny Aeillo and Leslie Ann Warren, “Drunkeys” a National lampoon style comedy about the effects of alcohol and how stupid it makes you and the big budget “Horrorween” that I actually star in and has many star cameos. I am also getting behind the camera with a suspense thriller called “Sweet Sexteen” that is in script and evens READS keeping you on the edge of your seat. Since I have been so blessed by being able to live out my dream of being on TV and in movies I have started a new website to try and help others do the same. http://www.talentoverload.com/ is the world’s first search engine designed just for people of talent to let the world find them. People can make a free profile that includes 3 photos, a bio, links to personal sites and keywords that potential employers can use when looking for someone with talent. Imagine needing a clown for you child’s birthday party, going to the web and just typing in “clown and your city”. The results would be all of the clowns in your area. That’s my envision of Talent Overload, so please let your readers know they can start living their dream by starting there. I have been so blessed by being able to live out my dream. Building Talent Overload is my small way of thanking the 50 Million people that visited my website, wrote me encouraging emails and gave me well wishes on me trying to live my dream.

10.  What advice do you have for someone who wants to get into acting?

“Don’t be the next person in line”…. I was fortunate enough to preside over a casting call for my movie “Horrorween” where literally hundreds of people showed up standing in line hoping for a part in the movie. I was the very first person they spoke with and if they made an impression on me then I would pass them on to Ed Meyer the producer. The casting call ad had the information of the movie, the producers name and directors name “Joe Estevez”. It also had the line starring Chuck Lamb the “Dead Body Guy”. You would not believe how many people did not know any of these facts but wanted a part in the movie. Also, many of them would ask if I wanted them to read something. I would tell them no that I just wanted to TALK with them to see if they were excited about the project and if they could perform like we do EVERY MINUTE of our life. I was amazed of the amount of people that couldn’t just stand there and hold a conversation. I’m not the greatest actor walking, but if I am at a place where there’s 200 people vying for the same job, I might not get the job but you will know I was there. Dare to be different, Think outside of the box, “Don’t be the next person in line!!!”  and of course my tag line “NEVER QUIT LIVING YOUR DREAM” It took me almost 50 years, but here I am, playing dead, living my dream.

We would like to thank Chuck for taking the time to do this interview for us. We can't wait to see his next movie and for those who haven't seen Thankskilling, It is one you need to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment